- Decisions about Topics in the GIS&T Body of Knowledge, including decisions concerning its content and format, are made by the Executive Editors in consultation with the Knowledge Area Editors. Decisions about access to and distribution of the GIS&T Body of Knowledge itself are made by the UCGIS Board of Directors, in consultation with the Editorial Board.
- All members of the Editorial Board are selected in consultation with the UCGIS Board of Directors. All Editors hold a 2- or 3-year term, renewable once.
- Contributions to the GIS&T Body of Knowledge are normally solicited by invitation from a member of the Editorial Board. However, qualified potential contributors may send to the Editor-in-Chief or another member of the Editorial Board a proposal to write on a topic, along with a curriculum vitae. By qualified, we mean those persons who have published refereed works on the topic of the proposed entry. By refereed works we mean either articles in respected, peer-reviewed journals or books which have been published by respected publishing houses and which have undergone the usual peer review process prior to publication. (Notes in newsletters, proceedings, unpublished dissertations, etc., do not count as much.) However, if a member of our Editorial Board is familiar with the work of the potential contributor, the latter may be certified as qualified. By topic, we mean a topic that is appropriate for the GIS&T Body of Knowledge and (a) was one of the original topics in the 2006 GIS&T Body of Knowledge or (b) has not yet been included and would fall within one of the Knowledge Areas.
- The members of the Editorial Board reserve the right to compare the qualifications of any person submitting an unsolicited request with those of other potential authors who would be qualified to write the entry in question.
- All entries, whether solicited or approved, will be refereed by one or more of the subject editors on our Editorial Board or by one or more external referees who have been approved by a member of the Editorial Board. Authors are expected to engage any constructive criticisms they receive during the referee process, prior to publication. Authors should note, however, that no matter whether they have been invited or approved by one of these subject editors, our goal of producing a high-quality reference work requires us to admit the possibility that some submitted entries may not be accepted for publication.
- Readers of the GIS&T Body of Knowledge are encouraged to contact authors directly with comments, corrections, and other suggestions for improvements.
International Standard Serial Number: ISSN 2577-2848 (online)
Licensing Agreement. UCGIS grants to authors a non-exclusive license to reproduce their entry or entries in print, and to share a pre-print version of their Topic on their personal or professional website or other research distribution sites (such as ResearchGate), as long as the full citation and DOI are included on the document. If and when an entry or entries are reproduced, the author must provide attribution to UCGIS by means of a citation to the GIS&T BoK. UCGIS grants to authors a non-exclusive license to prepare derivative works of their entry or entries and publish those in print, or on the Internet and the World Wide Web, including any future technologies or media that develop to supplement or replace the Internet or World Wide Web, subject to the terms of this Licensing Agreement. If and when a derivative work is produced from an author’s entry, the author must provide attribution to UCGIS by means of a citation to the GIS&T BoK. If any individual, organization, or entity wishes to license some or all of the Topics from the current or archived versions of the GIS&T BoK, they must contact UCGIS to discuss licensing options.
Statement of Liability and Indemnity. All authors are responsible for securing permission to use any copyrighted material, including graphics, quotations, and photographs, within their entries. The Editors and Members of the Editorial Board, and the members of the UCGIS Board of Directors and its officers, trustees, agents and employees (“UCGIS Parties”) disclaim any and all responsibility for copyright violations and any other form of liability arising from the content of the GIS&T BoK contributed by any of the authors, or from any material linked to the GIS&T BoK. Authors agree to indemnify and hold the UCGIS Parties harmless from any claims of copyright infringement or other alleged wrongdoing in connection with the author's entry or entries.
Take Down Policy. Every effort has been made by the individual contributing authors to discover and contact copyright holders of artwork and content used on the GIS&T Body of Knowledge website. To the extent that a copyright holder could not be found or an inadvertent permissions or copyright error was made, UCGIS stands ready to remove content upon notice and request by a copyright holder.
UCGIS will maintain both current and archived versions of the GIS&T BoK on the Internet, available to be accessed, viewed, and searched in its digital form. UCGIS does this as a means to support the global community around geographic information science and systems. The GIS&T BoK may not be reprinted, reproduced, stored, or utilized in any form, by any electronic, mechanical, or other means, now known or hereafter invented, including printing, photocopying, saving (on disk), broadcasting or recording, or in any information storage or retrieval system, other than for purposes of fair use, without written permission from UCGIS. If you have any questions about what constitutes fair use of the GIS&T BoK content, or about licensing this content, contact UCGIS directly to inquire.