- Distinguish between operational, organizational, and societal activities that rely upon geospatial information
- Describe the potential benefits of geospatial information in terms of efficiency, effectiveness, and equity
- Explain how cost-benefit analyses can be manipulated
- Compare and contrast the evaluation of benefits at different scales (e.g., national, regional/state, local)
- Identify practical problems in defining and measuring the value of geospatial information in land or other business decisions
Knowledge Economy is the portion of the Body of Knowledge focused on the elements of GIScience central to the growth of the field, particularly in areas related to the professional realm. This knowledge area emphasizes the education and training of personnel, labor and management issues, professional standards (like certification and ethics), industry economics and impacts, and overarching professional community issues.
Topics in this Knowledge Area are listed thematically below. Existing topics are linked directly to either their original (2006) or revised entries; forthcoming, future topics are italicized.