You are currently viewing an archived version of Topic Map Projections. If updates or revisions have been published you can find them at Map Projections.
- Select appropriate projections for world or regional scales that are suited to specific map purposes and phenomena with specific directional orientations or thematic areal aggregations
- Determine the parameters needed to optimize the pattern of scale distortion that is associated with a given map projection for a particular mapping goal and area of interest
- Diagnose an inappropriate projection choice for a given map and suggest an alternative
- Construct a map projection suited to a given purpose and geographic location
- Identify the most salient projection property of various generic mapping goals (e.g., choropleth map, navigation chart, flow map)
- Identify the map projections commonly used for certain types of maps
- Explain why certain map projection properties have been associated with specific map types