You are currently viewing an archived version of Topic Kernels and density estimation. If updates or revisions have been published you can find them at Kernels and density estimation.
- Describe the relationships between kernels and classical spatial interaction approaches, such as surfaces of potential
- Outline the likely effects on analysis results of variations in the kernel function used and the bandwidth adopted
- Explain why and how density estimation transforms point data into a field representation
- Explain why, in some cases, an adaptive bandwidth might be employed
- Create density maps from point datasets using kernels and density estimation techniques using standard software
- Differentiate between kernel density estimation and spatial interpolation