You are currently viewing an archived version of Topic Map reading. If updates or revisions have been published you can find them at Map reading.
- Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of using conventional symbols (e.g., blue=water, green=vegetation, Swiss cross=a hospital) on a map
- Find specified features on a topographic map (e.g., gravel pit, mine entrance, well, land grant)
- Match map labels to the corresponding features
- Match the symbols on a map to the corresponding explanations in the legend
- Execute a well designed legend that facilitates map reading
- Explain how the anatomy of the eye and its visual sensor cells affect how one sees maps in terms of attention, acuity, focus, and color
- Explain how memory limitations effect map reading tasks