You are currently viewing an archived version of Topic Mechanisms of control of geospatial information. If updates or revisions have been published you can find them at Mechanisms of control of geospatial information.
- Distinguish among the various intellectual property rights, including copyright, patent, trademark, business methods, and other rights
- Explain how databases may be protected under U.S. copyright law
- Describe advantages and disadvantages of “open” alternatives to copyright protection, such as the Creative Commons
- Outline the intellectual property protection clause of a contract that a local government uses to license geospatial data to a community group
- Explain how maps may be protected under U.S. copyright law
- Differentiate geospatial information from other works protected under copyright law