You are currently viewing an archived version of Topic Vertical (Geopotential) Datums. If updates or revisions have been published you can find them at Vertical (Geopotential) Datums.
- Explain how a vertical datum is established
- Differentiate between NAVD 29 and NAVD 88
- Illustrate the difference between a vertical datum and a geoid
- Illustrate the relationship among the concepts ellipsoidal (or geodetic) height, geoidal height, and orthometric elevation
- Outline the historical development of vertical datums