- Recognize the challenges of implementing and using geospatial technologies
- Create a charter or hypothesis that defines and justifies the mission of a GIS to solve existing problems
- Define an enterprise GIS in terms of institutional missions and goals
- Identify geographic tasks for which particular geospatial technologies are not adequate or sufficient
- Identify what is typically needed to garner support among managers for designing and/or creating a GIS
Knowledge Economy is the portion of the Body of Knowledge focused on the elements of GIScience central to the growth of the field, particularly in areas related to the professional realm. This knowledge area emphasizes the education and training of personnel, labor and management issues, professional standards (like certification and ethics), industry economics and impacts, and overarching professional community issues.
Topics in this Knowledge Area are listed thematically below. Existing topics are in regular font and linked directly to their original entries (published in 2006; these contain only Learning Objectives). Entries that have been updated and expanded are in bold. Forthcoming, future topics are italicized.