You are currently viewing an archived version of Topic Hierarchical data models. If updates or revisions have been published you can find them at Hierarchical data models.
- Illustrate the quadtree model
- Describe the advantages and disadvantages of the quadtree model for geographic database representation and modeling
- Describe alternatives to quadtrees for representing hierarchical tessellations (e.g., hextrees, rtrees, pyramids)
- Explain how quadtrees and other hierarchical tessellations can be used to index large volumes of raster or vector data
- Implement a format for encoding quadtrees in a data file