You are currently viewing an archived version of Topic Epistemological critiques. If updates or revisions have been published you can find them at Epistemological critiques.
- Discuss critiques of GIS as “deterministic” technology in relation to debates about the Quantitative Revolution in the discipline of geography
- Describe the extent to which contemporary GIS&T supports diverse ways of understanding the world
- Discuss the implications of interoperability on ontology
- Explain the argument that GIS privileges certain views of the world over others
- Identify alternatives to the “algorithmic way of thinking” that characterizes GIS