You are currently viewing an archived version of Topic Virtual and immersive environments. If updates or revisions have been published you can find them at Virtual and immersive environments.
- Discuss the nature and use of virtual environments, such as Google Earth
- Explain how various data formats and software and hardware environments support immersive visualization
- Compare and contrast the relative advantages of different immersive display systems used for cartographic visualization (e.g., CAVEs, GeoWalls)
- Evaluate the extent to which a GeoWall or CAVE does or does not enhance understanding of spatial data
- Explain how the virtual and immersive environments become increasingly more complex as we move from the relatively non-immersive VRML desktop environment to a stereoscopic display (e.g., a GeoWall) to a more fully immersive CAVE