- Compare and contrast the impact effect of time for developing consensus-based standards with immediate operational needs
- Explain how a business case analysis can be used to justify the expense of implementing consensus-based standards
- Identify organizations that focus on developing standards related to GIS&T
- Identify standards that are used in GIS&T
- Explain how resistance to change affects the adoption of standards in an organization coordinating a GIS
Data management involves the theories and techniques for managing the entire data lifecycle, from data collection to data format conversion, from data storage to data sharing and retrieval, to data provenance, data quality control and data curation for long-term data archival and preservation.
Topics in this Knowledge Area are listed thematically below. Existing topics are in regular font and linked directly to their original entries (published in 2006; these contain only Learning Objectives). Entries that have been updated and expanded are in bold. Forthcoming, future topics are italicized.