- Explain how optimization models can be used to generate models of alternate options for presentation to decision makers
- Explain, using the concept of combinatorial complexity, why some location problems are very hard to solve
- Compare and contrast the concepts of discrete location problems and continuous location problems
- Explain the concept of solution space
- Explain the principles of operations research modeling and location modeling
This knowledge area embodies a variety of data driven analytics, geocomputational methods, simulation and model driven approaches designed to study complex spatial-temporal problems, develop insights into characteristics of geospatial data sets, create and test geospatial process models, and construct knowledge of the behavior of geographically-explicit and dynamic processes and their patterns.
Topics in this Knowledge Area are listed thematically below. Existing topics are linked directly to either their original (2006) or revised entries; forthcoming, future topics are italicized.